The Lion Locomotive
Index Recent Pictures Pictures Video Drawings Wagging Banana Patterns
History Venus Images The Rescue Revived Links
Meccano Magazine Meccano Lion Card Model Butch
Todd, Kitson & Laird
|In 1837 the firm of Todd, Kitson & Laird was
formed when Charles Todd, who had trained at the Round Foundry, along
with James Kitson and David Laird, established the Railway Foundry in a
former mill in Hunslet, Leeds.
In 1837 the Liverpool and Manchester Railway ordered two locomotives to haul luggage trains, which were later called 'Lion' and 'Tiger'. They were the first locomotives built by Todd, Kitson and Laird, who used a conventional 0-4-2 wheel arrangement with inside cylinders
In 1839 Kitson and Laird left to form the Airedale Foundry.
Meanwhile, Todd and John Shepherd formed a company, Shepherd & Todd, at the Railway Foundry. Edward B. Wilson took over the firm in 1844 and from 1846 it was known as E.B. Wilson & Co. David Joy, who had been an apprentice at the Round Foundry, designed the locos, including the Jenny Lind class. In the 1840s and 1850s it was the largest engine builder in Britain, employing around 500 people.
The Foundry was wound up in 1858 after having made around 800 locomotives.
|1838||Constructed by Todd, Kitson &Laird|
|1838 - 1859||Liverpool & Manchester Railway|
|1859 - 1871||Mersey Docks & Harbour Board|
|1871 - 1927||Mersey Docks & Harbour Board, Pumping Engine, Graving Dock, Princes Dock, Liverpool.|
|1927- Mid 1930's||
Liverpool Engineering Society saved it, subsequent restoration at Crewe
non original distinctive brass cap to firebox added
|Pre war - 1941||Displayed on a plinth at Lime Street Station, Liverpool|
|1953||Stared in the film Titfield Thunderbolt|
|1980||Further restoration, took part in the 150th anniversary celebrations of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway at Rainhill under her own steam.|
|1988||Birmingham Railway Museum, Tyseley. Last Steaming of Lion|
|1999 - 2007||Museum of Science and Industry (Manchester)|
|2007 - 2011||Moved to Liverpool to be prepared for exhibiting in the new Museum of Liverpool in 2011|
|2011||Exhibited at the Museum of Liverpool|